Most people will go out of their way to defend against criticism. Here are some tips to help you respond well and accept constructive feedback on the job.
- Stay calm and hear the person out. Try not to get upset or act defensively with feedback.
- Confirm your understanding of the situation. Make sure that you know the exact situation that your reviewer is discussing
- Be open to self-improvement and change. You must go into the review process open minded and try to benefit from it.
- Agree on how to move forward. Develop a plan with your reviewer to make any necessary improvements
- Thank the person for the feedback. Someone who has taken time to give feedback is looking for help.