The last thing you want to do is spend precious time searching the house for important documents. If you already have your important papers in a fireproof safe or safe-deposit box, good for you! If not, consider putting together an evacuation box today.
Your Evacuation Box
Organize a lockable fireproof box or small waterproof suitcase—something that is easily transportable. Keep the box in a central location where you can easily grab it and go.
Important records you will need for your evacuation box:
- Birth certificates and passports
- Marriage license and/or divorce decree
- Social Security cards
- Powers of attorney
- Insurance policies
- Property deeds
- List of current financial accounts and copies of credit cards
- Contact information for your attorney, insurance agent, bank, financial advisor, doctors, friends and family
- List of digital accounts with usernames and passwords
- Sufficient cash to get you through a few days
Keep It Current
Make sure at least one person you trust knows the location of your evacuation box and how to access its contents. Because it’s only good if it’s up to date, be sure to revisit your evacuation box each year or when major life changes occur.