Coming across the article: 7 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Buying Anything by Beth Kleiner was a serendipity moment, as many individuals are trying to get a hold of their budget coming out of the trifecta of holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas). You may enjoy this post and this post on topic. I have also complied a list of questions one should ask themselves before making a purchase.
Can I afford this?
- Have I covered my basic monthly expenses?
- Are my credit cards paid off?
- Do I have the cash?
- Is it within my clothing budget?
- Is the price tag reasonable – I like to guess a price of an item, and if it’s the price or lower I consider buying it?
- Am I getting the best price? Comparison shopping is key
- Will you still want it tomorrow?
Is it Worth it?
- Do I need it? – I keep a list of items I truly need in my wallet,
- Am I being honest with myself- don’t talk your self into a bad purchase?
- Is the timing, right? I hardly every buy anything straight away
- Does it suit your body? Online shopping is great, but I believe in trying stuff on. I want to make sure it flatters my shape “if an item you try on is not hiding your defects and showing your assets, take it off.
- Is it comfortable- Reject anything that inches, pinches or you must tug on?
- Is it low maintenance- Watch out for wrinkle prone fabric, dry clean only, hand wash. check the label for care instructions, dry cleaning bills can add hundreds of dollars to the cost.
- Does it have staying power? See if you can see it looking chic in 10 years or more