How long can you make your friends wait to eat while you take the perfect shot? I hate myself at the time, but sometimes it takes a while. —Self-loathing Layla
Any advice for getting the perfect food shot? I only have 1.5 minutes! —Blurry Benicio
Crowd-sourced from people with WAY more followers than I:
- Get to a window or take it outside. Natural light above all.
- Overhead shots are the safest.
- Shoot on a neutral surface that isn’t too dark (so we can see the food clearly).
- Take a bite of food to make it more “lived in.”
- If your silverware is reflecting you taking your photo, move it.
- Always keep Instagram’s 4:5 ratio in mind, which really just means that you should shoot vertically.
- Add elements that give a sense of place or tell the story behind a dish (the grass you’re picnicking on, Grandma’s recipe card…).