Practicum instructor evaluation of student’s competency and areas for growth_________ has read and carefully thought about all of the research articles I have shared with her and she has shared with me. She asks very thoughtful questions once she has finished the articles. She is learning how decisions within agencies are made and all the numerous factors that affect the decisions.
This is a perfect example to me of how clinical supervision should operate. When looking for a clinical supervisor you should ask yourself the following questions:
- What are your credentials? If s/he says s/he is licensed, verify it and request an updated resume.
- What is your academic and professional background?
- What can I expect from supervision under you, and what therapeutic skills will you teach me? This should be discussed and spelled out in a written contract of supervision.
- Do you consider your supervision style to be that of a teacher, consultant, counselor, or evaluator?
- How will you monitor my client’s welfare?
What questions do you ask?