These questions make for enriching dinner table conversation, but they can be equally illuminating if you simply ask them of yourself. I stumbled onto the idea of asking big questions because I needed them myself. They drive our growth, and we can come back to them year after year.
- When people say good things about you, what are they likely to say?
- What is it about your life, yourself, and your accomplishments that give you real pride?
- How will you know when things are going well in your life—what will you be doing, who will you be with, how will you be feeling, thinking, and acting?
- What gives you genuine pleasure in life?
- When was it that you began to believe that you might achieve some of the things you wanted in life? What people, events, and ideas were involved?