A great organization asked me to come and speak to a group of young women who looked like me. I sent them this post (I had the final say on revisions). I wanted these young girls to know I did not come from the life I live now. I am living a life better than I can imagine thanks to God. I wanted these young women to continue to embrace their style, courage, and energy- after all; it is what makes them uniquely powerful in our communities. I wanted to provide them with strength and tangible tools (stepping stones). So, I sat and drafted my presentation. Here are the highlights:
- Ask yourself, what do I want to be doing at 40?
- Make a plan and work it. You can tweak it along the way, the reality of the dream is in the details
- Reach out. You don’t have to do it alone.
- Save a little every week. Today start saving 5% automatic deposits from your paycheck. You’re not going miss 5%.
- Don’t accept negative thinking or people. Life is too short but do know the difference between criticism and constructive feedback.
- You are responsible for your actions. Grown women own their mistakes.
- Know you can love someone and walk away. Love does not mean putting your life on hold.
- Any job is better than no job and every job has something to teach you.