Silence is not a thing we make; it is something into which we enter. It is always there… All we can make is noise. – Mother Maribel
What to do with silence:
- Give the individual a chance to talk before jumping in- don’t beat them to it due to your discomfort
- Give the individual permission to talk (You can talk about whatever you want in here)
- Consider introducing expressive arts activities
- “Sometimes it’s hard to talk”; Sometimes it seems like talking won’t do any good.
- If necessary, you can try propping questions (e.g., last week you were talking about…) be careful, you do not want to set your own agenda.